William Elbert Cook was our first Engineering School graduate student. He worked under the combined direction of Eugene Denman, Ensign Johnson, and Randy Brill. He came from Texas, and graduated in 1968. His PhD thesis was entitled “A Digital Data Acquisition System for Use in Nuclear Medicine Scanning and Whole‑Body Counting”. William Cook Dissertation. The system he created used a programmable MacPanel with about 1600 available sockets by which jumper cables on the front connected digital electronic components mounted on the back in ways that provided interface controls for different devices used in the laboratory. The system was so flexible and useful that it was duplicated and used in the Digital Circuits course offered in the School of Engineering for many years.
- Brill, A.B., King, R.J., and Cook, W.E.: “The Use of Digital Techniques in the Analysis of Collimator Performance,” J. Nuc. Med. 7: 333 (May 1966).
- Cook, W.E., Kramer, C.E., Baker, W.R., Heyssel, R.M., and Brill, A.B.: “Control Systems for an Isotope Scanner,” J. Nuc. Med. 7: 801 (Oct. 1966).
- Cook, W.E., and Brill, A.B.: “A Computer Controlled Information Retrieval System for an Individual Investigator,” J. Nuc. Med. 7: 804 (Oct. 1966).
- Brill, A.B., Wiliams, H., Cook, W., Watts, Jr., Johnston, R.E., Nash, R., and Staab, E.V.: Image evaluation with simulated data. J. Nuclear Med. 10: No. 6, 389, 1969.
5. Brill, A.B., Williams, H., Cook, W.E., Watts, J.R., Johnston, R.E., Nash, R., and Staab, E.V.: Analysis of imaging techniques using digitally simulated scans. Southern Med. J. 62:1429, Nov. 1969.
- Patton, J., Brill, A.B., Erickson, J., Cook, W.E. and Johnston, R.E.: A new approach to mapping three‑dimensional radionuclide distributions, J. Nuc. Med., 10: #6, 363, 1969.
- .Brill, A.B., Williams, H., Cook, W.E., Johnston, R.E., Nash, R., and Staab, E.V. Analysis of imaging techniques using digitally simulated scans, Physics in Med. & Biol., 15, #1, 164, 1970.
- 8..Erickson, J.J., Brill, A.B., Cook, W.E. A method for digitization of diagnostic ultrasonic data, Physics in Med. & Biol., 15, #1, 177, 1970.